Sunday, June 8, 2008

Shreddin' the Water








We were invited to go boating with a family from our ward, the Harper's, last Thursday. I had never been up on skiis or wakeboard before, so I was a little anxious about it, and didn't know if I could do it. Tim Harper is a GREAT coach, though, and was able to explain the basics in a way that was easy to understand and follow. I got up on the first try! I lost my balance pretty quickly, and tumbled, but on the second try was able to get up and stay up for quite a while. Rick tried to pull a prank on the Harper's by pretending that he didn't have much experience, to see what everyone thought when Rick started doing jumps. He was hoping they'd think he was some kind of wunderkind, but he's not a very good liar, and couldn't quite pull off the joke with a straight face. So, the gig was up. He had a great time refreshing his skills, (it's been about 5 years since he's skiied), and was completely excited to be behind a boat again. Each of us got a turn to learn how to drive the boat, (even Isaac), which was pretty cool! Isaac also took a turn behind the boat on a tube with Alex Harper. He loved boating. We've talked on and off about getting a boat, but I think this trip pushed us further in that direction. It will probably be a few years, but is definitely on our short list. It was such a good time, and is such a great way for a family to spend time together and learn to get along. THANKS HARPER FAMILY!