Yeah, right! Actually, it was an extended Staycation from Blogdom. I decided to take a small break during the Holiday season, and then allowed that break to turn into an entire 6 month spree of blogging laziness. I have no excuse for my bad blogging behavior. I was not in a coma. I did not have a major personal upheaval. No natural disasters. Nothing.... I was just a bum. And I. Am. Not. Sorry.
Okay, actually, I am sorry. By not blogging on a somewhat regular basis, I missed the opportunity to write down some of the funny things that Isaac said and did. The kinds of things that when they happened I thought, "I'm going to remember that and put it in the blog". By letting so much time go by, I've forgotten most of them, and thus they're not going in the blog. They're lost somewhere in the black hole of my brain, never to be seen again, most likely. *sigh*
So, to try to make up for it, I'm going to start writing 'flashback' posts every now and again to document the memories I still DO have from the last 1/2 year. They'll be making their appearance from time to time. In the meantime, here's what's going on this week at the homestead:
Isaac has a new Beanie Baby, a little Kiwi Bird that he thinks is a duck with "a long nose". He's named it Petey (pronounced peetee). I don't have any idea where he came up with that name. He LOVES his Petey, and carries him around with his other favorite stuffed animal "big dog", who is sometimes called "Luke", depending on the day. Petey is apparently Big Dog's baby, and they have all kinds of adventures together. See the bottom of the post for one of my favorite recent 'Big Dog' moments.
We traveled to visit family & friends in eastern Idaho this last weekend. It was great to see friends I hadn't seen in several years, and of course, it is always wonderful to see our family. Isaac loved playing with his little cousins. It gets crazy with three little blonde heads running around that are all the same height. It's a good kind of crazy, though. I always underestimate the amount of time I will want to be there, though, and we plan for a weekend when it would be good to have a week.
We planted our vegetable garden last week. We're determined to get something to grow well in our yard. Last year and the year before we had pretty lackluster results. This year, we're getting serious about it. I will have tomatoes this year, doggonnit! It was fun to dig in the dirt with Isaac, who is always certain that he can pick up and carry the watering can (which is almost as big as he is!) by himself, and is always surprised when it's too heavy. He keeps trying, though. He's a good helper. Sorry, no pics of the gardening efforts. I always forget to grab my camera. I need to just keep it around my neck. I'd have much better luck that way.
Rick's birthday was Sunday. He's now officially even closer to 40, but don't tell him I told. I have to watch what I say, because he's only 3 years older than me, so if he's getting older, so am I. We had a quiet just the three of us celebration. I cooked one of Rick's favorite dinners - Faux Fried Chicken with roasted potatoes and veggies, and made a strawberry cream cheese trifle, which we are on our fourth day of trying to finish. Delicious, but not for the faint of heart. It made a lot. We had a picnic with Rick's family on Memorial Day at the park by our house, which I made these for. So delicious, you will want to eat all of them, but you won't let yourself because their primary ingredients are butter, sugar, and cream cheese. If you like banana bread, these are the ultimate heart-stopping bar version with cream cheese frosting. So dang yummy! Thanks to Darby at "Fly Through My Window" for posting this little gem of a recipe. Even if I gain an extra 10 pounds, it will have been worth it!
And now, for the Isaac and Big Dog story of the week:
Isaac: Big Doggy is sad because his tail is hurting him.
Me: Oh! Should I kiss it better for him? (Kisses are big medicine at our house!)
Isaac: No, only the doctor can kiss it better.
Me: Oh, is Bear the doctor? (He was playing with his big teddy bear at the same time)
Isaac: No, the doctor is 'Seuss'.
Get it? Dr. Seuss? I got a good chuckle out of that.



